Monday, December 06, 2004

Christmas in Iraq

I'm trying to figure out what kinds of gifts to send to my friend Racheal who has been deployed to Iraq as an Army National Guard reservist. The Internet is no help - I'm finding sites like "Christian and Patriotic Gifts & Chocolates." I've been wandering through serious Republican country for about 15 minutes now. I already spent 50 hours in west Michigan last week. Enough is enough. So does anyone have any gift ideas for a 23-year-old girl-who-should-never-have-been-deployed-in-the-first-place? She is a serious girly-girl and an incredible athlete. She hates walking and reading and loves strip clubs. The only suggestion she had was "junkfoodyummy." She hasn't slept in a month (which explains the lack of grammar-type substance in her e-mails) but expects to have a lot more time on her hands soon. Seriously, if anyone has any good ideas I would greatly appreciate the input. The only ones I can think of are lip balm, magazines and microwave popcorn, and maybe a plush pillow if the shipping doesn't break me. Maybe some liquor as well. Does anyone know if there are rules about that? Thanks for the help.

2 Comments:

At December 6, 2004 at 8:03 PM, Blogger daisy said...

--stamps/stationery/envelopes/pens
--phone cards
--nail polish (other makeup will sweat off, I'd guess)
--Pixie Stix, gummy bears, Life Savers (I'm trying to think of junk food that won't melt en route)
--a mix CD (do you have a CD burner, Rudolph?)
--her particular brands of deodorant and tampons (because what they're issued probably sucks). Likewise, Advil/Band-Aids/razors/whatever
--If you can afford a handheld video game on easel wages, I'd guess that would be a big hit
--Who hates reading? Get her a book she'll actually like: a graphic novel (=comic book), or a how-to book, or a book about fashion or sports or whatever she likes. These are librarian trade secrets.
-disposable cameras - go to Big Lots where they're like $2 and get a bunch. We want to know what really goes on over there.


I bet liquor is banned.

 
At December 7, 2004 at 2:54 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Thanks for the help. I did send a magazine (Cosmo, if you must know. She really does hate reading). I also sent the ibuprofen, good shaving cream and a Spongebob toothbrush, among other things. I wish I could afford a Gameboy, but you know that easels just don't make a living wage in this town.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home