Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Christmas in Algiers Point

Anyone who has not been to Algiers Point at night lately should make the trip. The Christmas fever seems to have taken hold of the neighborhood (and it's spreading). A few people went a little crazy and now everyone's getting into the act. Usually when this type of disease, I mean behavior, befalls a neighborhood homeowners use it as an excuse to live out their fantasies of living on the strip in Vegas. In Algiers, however, people seem disinclined to indulge their gaudier instincts. Instead we have a profusion of tasteful Christmasness. People are going a little crazy without the, well, craziness. It's actually rather nice. Oh, and they're filming a movie a block away from me too. From the preponderance of different film crews I have seen in the past few months I think my the Point is going to be in every movie that comes out next year. So check it out before we put up a big gate around the neighborhood to keep riff-raff like you out.

As an added bonus, whatever band has been playing at the Old Point bar the last few Sunday afternoons is phenomenal. The strains I hear from the levee when I take the monsters for a walk in this sleepy neighborhood suggest New Orleans jazz 80 years ago. Definitely worth a look.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home